9401 Courthouse Road
Chesterfield, VA 23832-6685
Toll-Free Phone Number:
Local Phone Number:
New businesses must obtain all required licenses prior to beginning business in the county, and a late payment penalty of up to 10% of the tax due will be imposed along with interest if the licenses are not obtained within 30 days of the date the business opened. For existing businesses, renewal applications and appropriate tax payments must be filed in the Commissioner’s Office or postmarked on or before March 1 each year to avoid the late payment penalty and interest.
1. Complete the APPLICATION FOR CHESTERFIELD COUNTY BUSINESS LICENSE
2. Complete the BUSINESS LICENSE CLASSIFICATION QUESTIONNAIRE
3. The Chesterfield County Code (section §6-9) requires that every person applying for a business license shall ensure that the location for the business be properly zoned for its intended use by such business. Call or visit the Planning Department (804-748-1050) to find out if your business location is properly zoned for your business activities, especially if you intend to conduct your business from your home. Planning Department hours are M – F, 8:30am – 5:00pm
4. If you will be operating a business under an assumed or fictitious trade name, you must record the trade name with the Office of the Clerk of the Circuit Court in the Chesterfield County Courts Building (804-748-1209). Trade names that include the sole proprietor's last name do not need to be recorded. Trade names using only an individual's initials or any other fictitious names which differ from the actual sole proprietor, partnership, LLC, or corporate name must be recorded with the Clerk's Office, and §59.1-74 of the Code of Virginia requires that proof of recordation must be submitted to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue before a business license may be issued. You may search the records and download the forms from the CLERK'S OFFICE; however, you must mail the form or record it in person. A fee of $10.00 must accompany the form at the time of recordation. Office hours are M – F, 8:30am – 5:00pm.
5. CONTRACTORS ONLY: Register with the State Board for Contractors, located at 3600 West Broad Street, Richmond (ph. 367-8511, www.state.va.us/dpor ), only if you:
The Chesterfield County Code (section §6-25(b) requires that contractors in either of these categories must enter their State Board for Contractors registration number on the appropriate line on the business license application before a license may be issued. All contractors must also complete a Contractor's Certification of Insuring Liability for Workers' Compensation in Virginia form. §58.1-3714B(1) of the Code of Virginia prohibits a county from issuing or reissuing a business license to a contractor who has not obtained or is not maintaining workers' compensation coverage for his employees if such coverage is required. Questions regarding workers' compensation coverage requirements should be directed to the Workers' Compensation Commission at 1000 DMV Drive, Richmond (ph. 367-2071).
6. Return the following documents to the Office of the Commissioner of the Revenue in person or by mail:
The Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office is located in the County’s Government Complex. Office hours are M – F, 8:30am – 5:00pm. If you have any questions, please contact the Business License Section at 748-1754, 748-1282, or 796-7118